I don’t know about you but, for me, between school, household chores, being a mom, doing errands, and just life in general, I hardly have time to breathe much less anything else. So how do we get everything done each day when there doesn’t seem to be enough time? Time management.
Here are 8 helpful tips I’ve learned on time management to make my day run more smoothly.
- Plan Ahead
- Take 10-15 minutes the night before, and plan out your day ahead of time. This takes all the guesswork out of what needs to get done, and, if a surprise pops up, you can rearrange what you can to get the new task done.
- To-Do List
- Sounds simple enough, but many people just don’t do it. If you’re following tip number 1 and planning out your day the day or night ahead of time, this is the perfect time to write up your to-do list.
- Budget Your Time
- Allocate yourself a certain amount of time to get projects and tasks done. See what you’re spending most of your time on and if you’re spending too much time on certain tasks that don’t really need it. Ask yourself where you can start saving time and where more time needs to be spent.
- Keep Your Work with You
- Keep your work with you at all times. That way if you find a few spare minutes while you’re out and about you can use them to get a little bit of other work done. If you always have your work handy you’ll never have an excuse of why you couldn’t get it done. You can work on the train, bus, at the doctor’s office while you wait, or even listen to lectures or meetings while cleaning.
- Worst First
- Get the worst task you have for the day over with and done first. Do the one thing you despise the most at the very beginning so it’s not lingering over your head all day. By doing that you’re not dreading the rest of your day.
- It’s Okay to Say No
- If your plate is full, or if you just don’t feel comfortable with doing something someone is asking, it’s okay to say no. Do not feel obligated to take on more than you want or can. It is not selfish to say no.
- Ask for Help
- It is perfectly acceptable to ask for help if you need it or feel overwhelmed. It is not a sign of weakness. It’s actually a sign of strength. Use it.
- Get a good night’s sleep. To be productive you need your rest. You have to take care of yourself to be your best, so get the rest you need.
Time management is something everyone struggles with. In the end, do your best and don’t be so hard on yourself. Use these 8 tips to help get organized, and let us know how well they’ve helped you.